Black Toes

Trail running, running, and hiking in Colorado's Front Range.

Friday, March 11, 2005

Springtime in the Rockies!

It's days like today that make me want to never leave the Front Range. It's in the mid sixties today with calm winds. I took advantange of the the fact that:

a) I'm a graduate student - and can take time out during the day (because I work until 2 am most days)

b) It's freaking beautiful outside!

and

c) one of the RAID drives is acting wack

and decided to go running at Betasso Preserve over lunch. I wore my longsleve running shirt, but I seriously considered taking it off at some points on the run and shocking the poor old couple on the trail with my frightful cyclist tan. I didn't.

The trail was sloppy in parts, but all in all, quite dry and packed down. It's a nice little climb (~300-400 ft vertical) and 3.2 miles around. I don't know how long it took me, because my Forerunner ate all its batteries after 1 mile, but that's probably all the better. Sometimes it's fun just to go out and run - nothing but shoes and clothes.

Anyway, it was wonderful - there was almost no-one else up there, and the skies were blue and pristine. A great lunchtime trail/altitude work-out (it's at ~7000 ft ASL).

I took some pictures, but I don't have access to a USB port right now since my laptop is down and my camera is still in my backpack. I'll post them later tonight. I did get to see some nifty mountain lion paw prints on some of the muddier parts of the trail. Those things ar enormous!

Yesterday I took the day off from running. Didn't sleep well the night before and my knee was bothering me. I think it was just a slightly tight IT band - I did 2 minutes on the roller and all was well with my legs. Tomorrow is the group run with the Lakewood Runner's Roost group. It'll be a good 4 miles - and since it's a social group it'll keep my pace down. I want to keep it slow so I can do well on my 10 miler this Sunday.

3 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home